Monday, February 21, 2011

Just Some Code Lying Around...

Well, as promised by yesterday's post, I would come back with some more code. Oh look! There's two new branches on my fork of ScummVM.

First off, is jmp, which was supposed to be an engine for the Windows versions of The Journeyman Project (Turbo!) and its sequel, Buried in Time. However, other than an AVI player (KQ6 put this code to good use), not much was of use until recently when I added support for loading resources from the EXE/DLL. Both games are entirely hardcoded. Still not much is done, but it's got some good code in there for the Cinepak-based bitmaps I mentioned on my blog before. The codebase here dates back to 2006, so be gentle with it.

Probably the more important of the branches, at least to me, is pegasus. Unlike their predecessors, The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime (Mac only) is not hardcoded (minus some 'minigames'). It seemed like a better candidate to me. Well, it's a bit more functional than the others but still not much is done. You can traverse the menus a bit and the intro plays (with that recently-added QuickTime seeking), but not much else can be done yet. And thanks to a fellow fan's research, some of the resource types are also loaded in (but not all). I intend to continue on this when I'm done with Mohawk (at least the "core" Mohawk games :P).

It feels good to get this all off my chest. Have I mentioned how much I love git?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Living Books and Carmen Sandiego games being far "core" Mohawk games than any silly puzzle games which might happen to pop up, right?

Anthony817 said...

Hello, I was wondering if you had any small update for us, or are you just resting for a while? Thanks and keep up the great work.

Blue Lightning said...

Well, this is fantastic news. As a huge fan of this series I was thinking about trying to hack an interpreter for Buried in Time (after all, the media files are all exposed, how hard can it be? Right? Right? :) somehow I never got around to it. Glad to hear it's being worked on. Thanks!

clone2727 said...

@Anthony817: Just because I don't update here doesn't mean I'm not working on anything ;) I'll try to update soon with all sorts of new things.